October 27, 2014


A lot of my sewing (though less of it than he would like) is for my husband - Jeremy. Mostly this involves collared shirts (I count 9 that he wears on a regular basis).
Pattern: McCalls 6613, view D (pockets from view C)
Size: Large
Alterations: Diagonal yoke and pockets
Fabric: Buffalo check flannel from Michael Levine

This particular shirt was made in 2013, not long before we got engaged. See below for an "after" engagement shot (the ring was in the shop rag in his pocket):
This is one of my earliest versions of this shirt, and the flannel proved to be extremely difficult to match up (hence the diagonal yoke and pockets). I may or may not have announced that it could be the end of my plaid flannel makes forever.

This is one of the first times I used a double needle to do the topstitching. I think the result looks great, but I really hate the zigzag it makes on the inside - although he doesn't seem to mind.
This is also old enough to be a shirt with muslin used as sew-in interfacing. I'm not wild about the look (it makes for a pretty thick and lumpy placket and collar), but I haven't found iron on interfacing that I like. I probably should try harder to source a better brand (Lauren seems to use interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply a lot...). But alas, he actually likes his shirts with floppier cuffs, collars and button bands, so I just leave it out now. He's a big fan of the casual look.
Overall, I highly, highly recommend this pattern. A straight large fits him perfectly, and it's a perfect base shirt for customizing yokes, pockets, buttons and topstitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment