The girls are all here! I initially wanted to get some pictures of my newest Ginger Jeans and my new Victoria Blazer, and then I realized I could sneak my Datura in too!
Pattern: Closet Case Patterns Ginger Jeans
Size: 10, View B (high rise)
Modifications: tapered the legs slightly between the hip and ankle
Fabric: Gray brushed denim from Mood Fabrics
First up - another pair of Ginger Jeans... I could not be happier that I have a tried and true JEANS pattern, and that I can have a new pair any time I want!
The fabric came from Mood Fabrics - I had a gift card from my mother-in-law (thanks, Michelle!) leftover from Christmas, and I was on the hunt for bottom-weight fabrics. Side note - I know I'm spoiled by the LA Garment District, but Mood is... expensive. I ended up with only the gray brushed denim I used here for $10/yd (I can't find it online), and this organic twill for $15/yd - which ate up my gift card (and then some). I'm pretty excited to use the twill for pants some day - maybe the Ultimate Trousers?
I decided to forgo visible topstitching on this pair, in favor of a more "pants" look - rather than jeans. The lack of visible topstitching was a blessing in certain areas, but the bane of my existence while trying to get the double topstitching lines on the fly just right.
I made no changes to this pattern, other than tapering in the legs a bit between the hip and ankle by about 1/4" on the side seams - which I've done on both of my other pairs.
I do love this pair, but I realize that they don't hold a candle to my 2nd pair - just in terms of quality of fabric. I can wear my Cone Mills Denim Gingers over and over again without washing, and they look brand new every time. This pair didn't bag out too much after one wear (but they're too stretched out for 2 wears in a row without washing), and the fabric is starting to pill a little bit in the inner thigh area (cue tears).
I still owe myself a 2nd Cone Mills Denim pair from my kit, but it's great to have another pair of jeans in my closet that fit just the way I like, and aren't basic blue denim. Now if Girl Charlee would print white denim with a floral print as they hinted at in an Instagram post - I'd be all over that!
Pattern: By Hand London Victoria Blazer
Modifications: Combined separate collar and lapel pieces into one
Fabric: Poly gabardine from Michael Levine (I think this is it - it was unmarked), with black rayon challis lining from Angel Textiles
This is my 4th Victoria, and the most successful to date. I've finally figured out that the key to a nice looking Victoria is to use drapey fabrics. This blazer is so boxy, that on a curvy figure like mine - it hangs too square in a stiffer fabric.
The fabric for this jacket came from Michael Levine during a weird Halloween sale - the fabric was half off simply because it was black... I guess black suiting-type fabric screams Halloween? Hmmm... I'll take it! :D
The fabric seemed a bit stiff at first, and I initially thought about making pants from it, but after washing it softened right up. I even had enough fabric to cut another Elisalex that I'll finally sew up some day - I even have silver piping ready for the princess seams! The lining is black rayon challis from Angel Textiles, and it's soooooo soft (I love all rayon fabrics).
I made one major change for this version - I combined the collar and lapels into one piece. On my other (unblogged) Victorias, they're separate, and I sort of hate how they never lay flat. Combining them into one piece allows the weight of the collar to hold down the lapels, and I like the look a lot more.
Another thing I really should change for the next time, though, is to shorten the sleeves so the cuff sits just above my elbow. I always roll the cuff up once (as I did above) because it's just a little too long - and the best part about sewing is that you can change the things you wear to suit your tastes!
Pattern: Deer and Doe Datura
Fabric: Rayon challis from Angel Textiles, and something called "Black Silky-Soft Cotton Woven" from Mood Fabrics
I made this tank over a year ago with printed rayon challis and black cotton/rayon fabric from Mood. I love the lines of the Datura (and the button down back) - and I have plans to make some more this spring (so there'll be more information coming down the line!).
One change I'll definitely make to my future versions will be to lengthen the body about 2". Right now, the hem is finished with bias tape - but it's still a bit short. I love the bias finish (it makes it easier to hem curves like on this tank), so I'll keep that feature - but I just need more length.